The self-assessment deadline is looming. Self-assessment tax returns for the year to 5 April 2019 must be filed online by 31 January 2020 if a late filing penalty is to be avoided.Landlords will need to complete the property income pages. Particular care should be taken where the landlord has a loan or a mortgage as…
The way in which relief for capital expenditure is given depends on the way in which the accounts are prepared. For companies, and for sole traders and partnerships not eligible to use the cash basis, accounts must be prepared using the traditional accruals basis. Under the accruals basis, a deduction is not permitted for capital…
The dividend allowance, which was originally introduced from 6 April 2016, was cut from £5,000 a year to £2,000 from 6 April 2018. The cut is likely to have a significant impact on employees and directors of small businesses who receive both salary and dividend payments. Many family-owned companies allocate dividends towards the end of…
- Recording directors’ expenses correctly
- IT consultant held contract for services
- Are workers employees?
- Landlords: Dealing with finance costs correctly
- Are you making the most of the Capital Gains exemption for married couples and civil partners in transferring assets?
- The high-income child benefit charge explained
- Have you overpaid an employee? Here’s what to do…
- Using company vans for tax-free home to work travel
- Utilising the 2019/20 dividend allowance
- Can my company buy me a new bicycle?
Sign up for news, offers and free advice
Did you know?
You have 14 days to notify companies house if you resign as a director of a company.
- My Tweets